Sunday, May 1, 2011

Zyrtec

On our sledding trip in January Christopher had a runny nose that turned into a cold that turned into a sinus or ear infection (I can't remember which). He battled sinus problems most of November and December. We had thought about trying him on Zyrtec daily to see if it would help. So we went for it. We feel it has helped him tremendously. He has not had to have antibiotics for months (it is May 1 as I type this). We are very thankful for it. We are also very thankful to be able to buy a generic version of it cheaply at Costco. Aller-tec combined with homeopathics for allergies, colds and sinuses as well as no sugar and no dairy have kept us out of the doctors office since Jan 3rd! Knock on wood! This makes us very happy since the doctor started charging $135 per visit. Our insurance used to reduce our out of pocket per visit from $85 to $65, now it is $90 - more than we used to get charged before insurance. Christopher is allergic to penicillin. Azithromycin was not working for him so he was having to go on Cefnidir which is expensive. It retails for $96. After insurance we have been paying $45. Needless to say zyrtec has saved us money.

We have had Vanessa and Hunter on it this spring as well. It definitely helped us stay more healthy and avoid some colds and asthma attacks. I don't like adding a daily medication, but we have definitely seen great benefits from this one.

I hope to be able to take the girls off zyrtec/aller-tec during the summer when our temps are over 100 consistently. I also hope to put all three of the kids on allergy drops by mouth some day...

No comments: