Wednesday, December 16, 2009

6th Grade Science Camp!

...was cold! Oh so cold!

Wednesday December 9 through Friday December 11, 2009



We even left a few hours later in the morning (nice! I did not have to get up at 5am to leave at 6:30) because of the winter storm that blew through on Monday). They wanted to make sure the roads were all clear.



First day after lunch our group went on the hike



in 12-18 inches of snow (some of the kids had never seen it in person before!)



to the top of the rim



to explore the cave.



After the hike they dissected owl pellets.



We went from the hike to the non-heated gym to our cabin, where the heater was broken, for an experiment class. We did not warm up that day until dinner. The next day was much better. We alternated inside versus outside classes.



Someone brought paddles and ping pong balls. Did I mention it was cold? With a foot of snow on the ground?








Ice skating on the frozen water in the gym





This rip roarin' fire was gas. A little disappointing. I would think they would use the gas in the summer when fire danger is high and light a real bonfire when there is snow.



Paul noticed we all still had jackets on in this picture. The heater in our cabin was very tempermental. Sometimes it would work and it would be nice and cozy in there. Sometimes it would not work and it would be 50 degrees or less. The gauge only went as low as 50.

We were in the haunted cabin. I think Paula, the resident ghost, must have controlled the heater at her whim. I was so glad I brought extra blankets for Vanessa and I to put on top of our sleeping bags and my space heater!



Lining up for a meal. The first morning it was 14 degrees when they lined up for breakfast. Brrrr.





Snow ball fight!

No comments: