Friday, February 5, 2010

Phrase of the Week

"Why it smell in here?"

Christopher had his preschool evaluation this week to see if he qualified for preschool for a speech delay. Since he is about to turn 3 he will be dropped for the AZ Early Intervention program that has been coming to the house working with him. I almost canceled the appointment because he is speaking so well, but I decided to keep it since we had made it that far just to see what they said. He does not qualify for the preschool. Free preschool would have been nice (Hunter did 2 years in the Amanacer preschool for speech), but I will say it is nicer to hear them tell you your child is developing perfectly normally. They said Early Intervention did exactly what they are supposed to do - take care of the minor concerns before they become major problems. He needed a little help figuring out the communication thing, but now he is right on track! They were glad I went ahead and brought him to the appointment so they can now close out his file.

The evaluation is basically he gets to play with the teachers while they test his abilities. During one portion the teacher asked him to draw and said, "What color marker do you want?" He chose brown. When he opened it he said, "Why it smell in here?" She answered that the marker was flavored and smelled like chocolate. He replied, "I love chocolate!" To which she answered that she really loves chocolate too with a giggle.

This morning I was making waffles for Chris and Hunter for breakfast (Hunter had a fever yesterday afternoon and is home sick today). While they were cooking Christopher said, "Why it smell in here?" Another day this week when his diaper needed to be changed he asked the same question. So now we know, along with his speech, motor skills, social and emotional skills, etc, his smeller works great too!

No comments: