Saturday, June 22, 2013

Paria Day 4


The previous days we had done 8-11 miles plus side trips and taken 9 or 10 hours so I thought this last 12 miles would take that long too. So I had enough water for all day. I guess everyone was worried about getting out before it was too hot so we were really bookin it. Richard talked me into dumping some of my extra water that was weighing my down. He promised to stay with me so I could filter more if needed. He stayed with me and I had enough water since we were out in 4 1/2 hours.



More petroglyphs

Ruins of the Johnson family ranch



Graveyard. Maybe distant relatives of mine.



Apricot orchards at Lonely Dell Ranch.

All done! We made it!

I guess the tradition is to dunk yourself 3 times for luck in the Colorado River at Lee's Ferry. Man, that water is cold! Notice the rafting trips in the background getting ready to go.

Looking at the start of the Grand Canyon - one of my favorite places!

We were supposed to stay the night here, but we got done so fast - 12 river miles (we took some short cuts over land) in 4.5 hours - that one car left after showering and eating. It was nice to get home that evening and sleep in my own bed. The trip Rachel took a week and a half before did not get out until 1:30pm. We were done at 9:45am.


Don, Richard and Rachel

I was so lucky to be able to go on two amazing adventures within a 30 day period. That will probably never happen again. It was also my first time ever backpacking unless you count when I was 15 and had adult leaders in charge. I definitely want to go again someday. I am so grateful for both opportunities. I did about 50 miles at the Grand Canyon and 45 at Paria River. In between I did 15 miles of practice hikes so I figure between April 30 and May 28 I hiked 110 miles. That's about from Tempe to Tucson. Pretty cool!

No comments: