Homeschooling is so not for me. My kids are so loud. I found that I really need some quiet time during the day. They were just playing normally and being kids, but it got on my nerves. I am thankful for teachers! I am used to kids being home from school sick and just laying on the couch watching tv not running around. Christopher loved all the playmates and attention. He is going to be bored next week.
The school nurse contacted me at the beginning of the school year to let me know they might be doing a seasonal flu as well as H1N1 (swine) flu vaccine clinic at the elementary school. She informed me they would be using injections and nasal mist of the vaccines. The nasal mist contains live virus and people who get it shed that live virus for up to two weeks. This is a problem for us because Vanessa has an immune system disorder and it would be dangerous for her to be around that many people possibly shedding that much contagious virus at a time. After speaking with our allergist/ immmunologist's and pediatrician's office we decided not to have her at school during this. We figured Hunter better stay home also since we did not want her to bring it home with her.
When I found out the date of the clinic and went in to talk to the nurse she said she was now being told to tell people the nasal mist does not give off enough live virus to be a concern. Maybe not to healthy people, but with an immune compromised child we decided to stand by our decision. Our kids all have asthma and Hunter is allergic to eggs. With that many strikes against us we felt good about using caution.
So, our first morning after making homemade waffles for the kids I took Christopher and Tyson to the gym. Vanessa worked on practicing bells. When we got back the girls helped me clean the house and worked on school work. Then Vanessa and Hunter had tumbling. Christopher and I ran to the store and the park while they were in class. That night I stayed home with Christopher and worked and Paul took Vanessa and Hunter to see their cousin Brittany in a community play - Willy Wonka Junior. She was an oompa loompa. They had a great time!

No comments:
Post a Comment