Monday, March 15, 2010

Not our best time of year

February is our worst month. I always forget. Paul does not. He remembers. I think I mentally block it out every year like childbirth so I am willing to go through it again.



Vanessa's activity day group heart attacked us, thanks girls!



February 2010 went like this:
  • Christopher got an ear infection and we treated at home. He got better.
  • We ate quinoa for dinner.
  • Apparently Chris is very allergic to it. Started coughing/gasping for air. Inhaler worked. Did not have to use Hunter's EpiPen on him.
  • Two days later he got a fever and started vomiting and could not stop as his body reacted to the quinoa moving through his system. Next time we will induce vomiting the first night.
  • Gave him the chemo anti-nausea drug to pull him out of it.
  • Vanessa went to a slumber party and ate all the party food that we discussed (plus probably a lot more)
  • She failed to mention she had eaten a Sprite/ice cream drink at school that day. Ummm, what part of never eat ice cream does she not understand? It has both dairy and sugar. Which she is allergic to.
  • The next week she got a cold/runny nose/sneezy induced by the food.
  • Chris ate something with dairy in it and got another runny nose = round 2 of ear infections
  • Vanessa's cold did not get better. In 7 years at elementary school she has made it to 2 Valentine's Day parties, 4th and 5th Grade. Monday was President's Day, but thought she was feeling better and went to school on Tuesday. Called me from the nurse's office saying she could not walk home. Glad she did not try, might have collapsed. She was having the worst asthma attack I have seen her have. She had webbing lines all the way down her arms and legs to her fingers and toes from not enough oxygen. I am concerned that she did not get the inhaler out of her backpack and take it nor tell the nurse she had one with her. At urgent care that night confirmed pneumonia.
  • 2 days later Tyson (little boy I babysit) wakes up from his nap throwing up and continues throwing up - figured out he is allergic to eggs!
  • Hunter, Chris and I all share a cold together.
  • Pick Hunter up from school with sore throat. Strep had been in her classroom. She did not have it just a cold and got better over the weekend. Missed the school carnival though.
  • Christopher gets congested again. This time ears not getting better and sinuses involved. 3rd time that close together we could not get his ears to get better with home treatment. Trip to doctor for antibiotics. Confirmed ear infection and sinus infection.
  • Oh and asthma diagnosis for him (big surprise!) and script for albuterol for the breathing machine for him since I confessed to using the girls' inhaler for him. She was fine that I used the inhaler but wants us to use the nebulizer if possible since he can get much more medicine that way. Albuterol is apparenly very safe and used for babies in the NICU; however, it does hype him up before bed.
  • Oh and allergies diagnosis for him as well. He can take Zyrtec if we want.
  • Pick Hunter up from school again after she had a sneezing attack combined with facial redness and swelling. The nurse said the splotches were as dark as my rose colored shirt. Luckily it was just a contact allergic response, nothing needing the EpiPen and cleared up by the time I got there (30min - I was at a painting job).
  • We are getting to know the nurse a little too well. Although she is a nice lady.
  • Vanessa is struggling with allergies so we are trying Zyrtec. It seems to be helping tremendously without major side effects (she has only taken it twice so far). Doctor said it was fine even with her Singulair and Pulmicort. Said it was very safe and approved for ages like 6 months and up.

And here we are on Spring Break. Okay...so I went into half of March too, but still, that is a lot for the last 6 weeks.

I do have to say we used to struggle this bad from October through February. Then just October and February. Now it is really just February and parts of March that are this bad. Thank goodness we have improved or I would have had a nervous breakdown by now for sure.

No comments: